Thursday, August 7, 2008

Cityfied

True story. I'm on the phone with my sister-in-law, Emily, who lives in po-dunk-ville Iowa, when she suddenly exclaims - "Oh my God. There are two barns on fire!" Right as I was mocking her for living in a place where barns even exist, she passed the fire department (I use that term liberally - it's really just another barn) where - get this - there's a fire truck refilling with water. I had NO idea such rudimentary fire trucks even existed anymore. I immediately envision one of those old black-and-white movies with a line of men passing buckets down the row to put out a fire. Don't get me wrong, it makes logical sense since many people in po-dunk-ville drink well water (which, after doing environmental litigation, really gives me the heebie jeebies); however, it's still a very foreign concept to me. Apparently, I'm no longer a country girl. For better or worse, I've been cityfied.

1 comment:

Jamie Rex said...

I just had to add to this: we had a fire on the outskirts of town, and the trucks all had to go back and forth to fill up in town over and over. The structure was a total loss, as was one person inside. Theo, a very country boy, always tells me, this once city girl, that in the country you evacuate the people and just let it burn, and keep it from spreading. Where he's from they would not even haul water in and out!